Skip to content
- The temperature may vary greatly between day and night, so we suggest dressing in layers.
- Dress code is always casual at Lama and because we live close to the earth, things tend to get dirty quickly, so bring appropriate clothes.
- If you are coming from a low elevation, we suggest that you start drinking liquid chlorophyll with water several days in advance (1 tablespoon per glass of water). This will help prevent altitude sickness.
- In order not to attract bears, pack all toiletries (including lotions, lip balm, camera film, vitamins, perfumes, toothpaste) in a separate bag to be left in the washhouse. Do not bring any scented items into your sleeping area. You can put yourself in danger. We cannot over-emphasize this!
- Because the water from the washhouse feeds plants, Lama supplies biodegradable soap, shampoo and lotion. Please do not use non-biodegradable toiletries that will go down the sink drains.
- Our solar electric system cannot handle the load from hair dryers, curling irons, toasters, or any other electrical heating devices. Please do not bring these items.
- If you have clothes that you are planning to donate to charity, please consider bringing them to Lama’s free-clothing room, “the Regalia Room”. The Regalia Room is also there for you if you need an extra sweater, shorts, etc.
What to Bring:
- Tent with a good-quality rain fly
- Two tarps—one to be used as a ground cloth under the tent; the other to be used inside the tent to reinforce the flooring—this has proven to be significant in assuring dryness in sudden storms
- Sleeping pad
- Flashlight and a tent lamp (no candles or lanterns with an open flame)
- Sleeping bag (good to 40° F) and an extra blanket for additional warmth
- Clothes for variable weather
- Sturdy shoes for hiking
- Sneakers, sandals
- Toiletries, including sunscreen, lip protection; lotion if desired
- Medications, if applicable
- Sunglasses and hat
- A warm jacket
- Rain gear
- Water bottle
- Musical instruments
- A journal
- Art or practice materials
- Phone card for international calls